Swing Shop Associate
Department: Museum Shop
Classification: Part-time, Hourly Non-Exempt
Date: Summer 2018
The Swing Shop Associate’s role is to provide assistance and excellent customer service to the visitors of the American Jazz Museum’s retail shop.
- This is a part time position with ten (10) to twenty (20) hours per week. The work week will be Tuesday-Sunday, and occasional event days and evenings on an on-call/as needed basis.
- Greet and assist customers with purchases, handling sales transactions, general museum questions.
- Oral Communication: Speaks clearly, and persuasively in positive or negative situations, listens and gets clarification, responds well to questions, demonstrates presentation skills, participates in meetings
- Use observation, insight and creativity to enhance the customer shopping experience.
- Act as security for the Museum Shop.
- Maintenance of inventory data through inventory counts, etc.
- Maintaining the shop appearance by restocking, dusting, tidying, and organizing.
- Receive/process, and display new inventory.
- Visual merchandising/display of existing inventory.
- Manage opening/closing procedures including submitting Shop Daily Sales. Report and cash/check deposits.
- Take/archive phone messages.
Required Skills and Competencies:
- Strong interpersonal skills, initiative, creativity, leadership
- Strong work ethic
- Must be able to follow direction
- Professional attitude, reliable
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing
- Ability to interact with employees, vendors, and visitors in a professional manner
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and reach with hands and arms. This position requires the ability to occasionally lift products and supplies, up to 50 pounds.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. The omission of specific statements of the duties does not exclude them from the classification if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment for this classification. Other duties may be required and assigned.
Kansas City, Missouri
How to apply for the position
Contact Marissa Baum at:
Review of applicant submissions will continue until position is filled.
Resume, and 2 professional references required
Employee must be able to pass a background check
Equal Employment Opportunity
To give equal employment and advancement opportunities to all people, we make employment decisions at the American Jazz Museum on each person's performance, qualifications, and abilities.
The American Jazz Museum does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic characteristics/information, marital status, pregnancy, childbirth or related individual conditions, medical condition (as defined by state law), military status, political affiliation, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law (referred to as "protected classes’ or “protected status").
This Equal Employment Opportunity Policy extends to all terms, conditions and privileges of employment as well as the use of all American Jazz Museum facilities, participation in all American Jazz Museum sponsored activities, and all employment actions and practices including selection, job assignments, promotions, compensation, discipline, termination of employment and access to benefits and training.
We will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless making the reasonable accommodation would result in an undue hardship for the American Jazz Museum.
The American Jazz Museum is an at-will employer.