American Jazz Museum - Kansas City, MO
About the Position
The Accounting / Office Assistant position is responsible for process accounting transactions, assist with database management and support daily office activities & needs.
This is a full-time position with forty (40) hours per week. The workweek will be Monday – Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm and the individual hired must be Bondable.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The following duties are normal for this position.
- Process invoices and verify financial data for use in maintaining accounts payable records, and provide other support necessary to pay the obligations of the organization
- Review all invoices for appropriate documentation and approval prior to payment
- Review requisitions for satisfactory payment approval and process check requests
- Audit and process credit card bills
- Match invoices to checks, obtain all signatures for checks and distribute checks accordingly
- Respond to vendor inquiries
- Reconcile vendor statements, research and correct discrepancies
- Assist in month end closing
- Maintain files and documentation thoroughly and accurately, in accordance with company policy and accepted accounting practices
- Assist in providing support for the Altru Database and integration with Quickbooks
- Provide daily office support including but not limited to ordering office supplies, etc.
- Assist with other special duties or assigned projects as needed
Required Education and Experience
- High school diploma or GED diploma. College courses in accounting preferred.
- Two (2) years or more of accounting experience
- Proficient in Excel and Word, 10-key by touch, Quickbooks, Databases
- Ability to type 60-65 wpm
- Knowledge of basic accounting principles, documentation, and data analysis
- Thorough knowledge of applicable accounts payable/general ledger systems and procedures, financial chart of accounts and corporate procedures
Required Skills and Competencies
- Strong Organization Skills.
- Strong Interpersonal Skills, initiative, creativity, leadership
- Strong Oral Communication Skills
- Strong Writing and Spelling Skills
- Strong Time Management Skills
- Strong Decision Making.
- Must have strong work ethics
- Must be well organized and a self-starter
- Must be able to follow standard filing procedures
- Detail oriented, professional attitude, reliable
- Possess strong organizational and time management skills
- Strong problem-solving skills, research and resolution skills, and multi-tasking skills
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing
- Ability to interact with employees and vendors in a professional manner
- Ability to work independently and with a team in a fast-paced and high-volume environment with emphasis on accuracy and timeliness
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. This position requires the ability to occasionally lift office products and supplies, up to 20 pounds.
No travel is expected for this position.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. The omission of specific statements of the duties does not exclude them from the classification if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment for this classification. Other duties may be required and assigned.
Fill out the application and print of and sign the application acknowledgement found here. Email the completed, signed and dated documents along with three (3) professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: No hard copies will be reviewed.
Qualified applicants will be contacted for an interview. Review of applicant submissions will continue until position is filled. Questions about this opportunity may be addressed to email@example.com.
Equal Employment Opportunity
To give equal employment and advancement opportunities to all people, we make employment decisions at the American Jazz Museum on each person's performance, qualifications, and abilities.
The American Jazz Museum does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic characteristics/information, marital status, pregnancy, childbirth or related individual conditions, medical condition (as defined by state law), military status, political affiliation, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law (referred to as "protected classes’ or “protected status").
This Equal Employment Opportunity Policy extends to all terms, conditions and privileges of employment as well as the use of all American Jazz Museum facilities, participation in all American Jazz Museum sponsored activities, and all employment actions and practices including selection, job assignments, promotions, compensation, discipline, termination of employment and access to benefits and training.
We will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless making the reasonable accommodation would result in an undue hardship for the American Jazz Museum.
The American Jazz Museum is an at-will employer.