Retail Sales Associate
Are you intrigued by history, art, and jazz, and do you want to work for an amazing entity that puts its team, community partners & its guests as top priority?
Start your musical adventure with us and be a part of this must-see featured cultural destination located at the Historical 18th & Vine district, in the heart of Kansas City, Missouri – where guests from all places and of all ages explore new, fascinating, and fun discoveries at the American Jazz Museum!
Imagine yourself helping our guests create memorable experiences . . . now imagine yourself in a fun and rewarding Part-Time Retail Sales Associate role at our American Jazz Museum gift shop!
Our people make us pretty great! Our friendly and enthusiastic team help create fun and engaging experiences as they interact with guests to deliver the ultimate guest shopping experience.
As our Retail Sales Associate (Part-Time), you will provide assistance and excellent customer service to the visitors of the American Jazz Museum's retail shop and other pop-up shop opportunities.
- Provide outstanding guest service.
- Greet and assist customers with purchases, handling sales transactions, and general Museum questions.
- Proactively attain product knowledge and be able to share that with co-workers and customers.
- Oral Communication: Speaks clearly, and persuasively in positive or negative situations, listens and gets clarification, responds well to questions, demonstrates presentation skills, participates in meetings.
- Use observation, insight, and creativity to enhance the customer shopping experience through product suggestions and cross-selling products.
- Assist in floor moves, merchandising, and display maintenance.
- Wrap or bag merchandise for customers when necessary.
- Process, tag, and display new inventory.
- Maintenance of inventory data through inventory counts, etc.
- Handle returns of merchandise.
- Maintaining the shop appearance by restocking, folding, cleaning, and organizing.
- Assist with any website store order fulfillment to include shipping if necessary.
- Suggest new product offerings to Director of Finance and Operations.
- Manage opening/closing procedures including submitting shop daily sales reports and cash/check deposits.
- This position is for weekends with some weekday flexibility.
- Must be able to work Saturdays and Sundays.
- Ability to accurately handle money.
- Comfortable with interactions at all levels of management, staff and the public.
- Position involves frequent standing and walking.
- Move or handle merchandise generally weighing 30 lbs. or assist with moving merchandise up to 50 lbs.
- Superior organizational and communication skills, other verbal and written.
- Strong, proven experience in retail sales and customer service.
This position is a Part-Time position and does not qualify for benefits.
The American Jazz Museum is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We prohibit unlawful discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, physical disability, mental disability, pregnancy, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, veteran status, or any other characteristic to the extent protected by federal, state, or local laws. This policy against harassment or discrimination extends to coworkers, contractors, vendors, and customers.
AJM also has a strict no-retaliation policy. AJM prohibits retaliation against individuals who report harassment or discrimination, or who participate in investigations into such conduct. Violations of any of these policies could lead to disciplinary action.