Director of Finance
The American Jazz Museum in Kansas City is dedicated to celebrating and exhibiting the experience of jazz as an original American art form through performance, education, exhibition, and research at one of the country’s jazz crossroads – 18th & Vine.
About the Position
The director of finance position is responsible for maximizing the return on financial assets by establishing financial policies, procedures, controls and reporting systems. This position ensures legal and regulatory compliance for all accounting and financial reporting functions. The Director of Finance also oversees cost and general accounting, accounts receivable/collection and payroll and risk management
This is a full-time exempt position Monday – Friday. The workweek will be determined by the Executive Director. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
essential functions. The following duties are normal for this position.
- Guides financial decisions by establishing, monitoring and enforcing policies and
- Protects assets by establishing, monitoring and enforcing internal controls.
- Maximizes return and limits risk on cash by minimizing cash balances.
- Provides status of financial condition of the company by collecting, interpreting and reporting key financial data.
- Ensures compliance with federal, state and local legal requirements by researching
- existing and new legislation, consulting with outside advisors, and filing financial reports.
- Advises management of actions and potential risks.
- Arranges for audits as required and appropriate.
- Manages budget and controls expenses effectively.
- Hires, trains, develops and appraises staff effectively. Takes corrective action as necessary on a timely basis and in accordance with company policy.
- Consults with Human Resources as appropriate.
- Keeps up-to-date on information and technology affecting functional area(s) to increase innovation and ensure compliance.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in a business, financial or related field or equivalent work experience 5 or more years of experience in managing an accounting function in a medium- or large-size company.
Preferred Education and Experience
- Master’s degree in a business, financial or related field or equivalent work experience.
- 10 or more years of experience in managing an accounting function in a medium- or large-size company.
Required Skills and Competencies
- Financial Management
- Strategic Thinking
- Ethical Conduct
- Technical Capacity
- Strong Organizational and Planning Skills.
- Strong Interpersonal Skills, initiative, creativity, leadership
- Strong Oral Communication Skills
- Strong Writing and Spelling Skills
- Strong Time Management Skills
- Strong Decision Making.
- Must have strong work ethics
- Possess strong organizational and time management skills
- Strong problem-solving skills, research and resolution skills, and multi-tasking skills
- Ability to interact with Associates and vendors in a professional manner
This position currently manages one Associate and is responsible for leadership, performance
management and hiring of the Associates within its department.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office
equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. The noise
level in the work environment is usually quiet.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an
- Associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- While performing the duties of this job, the Associate is regularly required to talk and hear. The
- Associate frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach
- with hands and arms.
- This position requires the ability to occasionally lift office products and supplies, up to 25
No travel is expected for this position.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of
activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the Associate for this job. The omission
of specific statements of the duties does not exclude them from the classification if the work is
similar, related or a logical assignment for this classification. Other duties may be required and
Compensation Range: Mid $50’s (K) to Mid $60’s (K)
Benefits: Medical and Dental
(90% of the employee premium is paid by the American Jazz Museum)
Location: Kansas City, Missouri
For more information or to apply, visit indeed.com